On 22 September the hottest competition day in the Nordics is here: The best wine lists in the Nordic countries are recognized by Star Wine List. Here are the finalists in nine categories.
The Star Wine List jury has evaluated the top Nordic wine lists on Star Wine List - more than 180 of them.
We are very happy to have some of top sommeliers from around the World in our jury:
Arvid Rosengren, Best Sommelier of the World 2016
Paz Levinson, Best Sommelier of Argentina 2010 and Best Sommelier of Americas 2015
Pascaline Lepeltier MS, Best Sommelier of France 2018
Raimonds Tomsons, Best Sommelier of Europe 2017
"The jury has done an incredible job plowing thousands of wine list pages. Wine lovers will probably recognise a lot of the finalists but there are also venues that are not that well-known outside their cities," says Krister Bengtsson, founder of Star Wine List.
It is the first time Star Wine List celebrates the Nordic wine lists and you are very welcome to join the event in Stockholm on 22 September. Our event is part of the Nordic Sommelier championship day. More info and tickets at the end of this article.
The finalists are mostly from the Scandinavian capitals Stockholm, Oslo and Copenhagen, but there are also strong venues from smaller towns in Norway and Sweden. Sadly, no Finnish venues made the final cut this year.
"We have only just launched in Helsinki and had just a handful of wine lists in time for the competition deadline this time. But as we spread further into Finland and add more cities in Denmark and Norway, I am sure we will see even more diversity in the finals in the future," says Krister Bengtsson.
The Nordic wine bars and restaurants have been evaluated in nine categories, and here are the finalists:
– The top Nordic wine list overall
By the Glass Wine List
– Recognizes the best wine list by the glass
The category is presented by Le Verre de Vin - professional wine preservation systems
Austrian Wine List
– Recognizes the best wine list with Austrian wines
The category is presented by Austrian Wine
South African Wine List
– Recognizes the best wine list with South African wines
The category is presented by Libertas Vineyards and Estates
Italian Wine List
– Recognizes the best wine list with Italian wines
The category is presented by Mandrarossa
Rhône Wine List
– Recognizes the best wine list with Rhône wines
The category is presented by Paul Jaboulet
Low intervention / Natural Wine List
– Recognizes the best Low intervention / Natural wine list
Short Wine List
– Recognizes the best wine list with less than 250 listings
Niche Wine List
– Recognizes a venue that chooses to focus on a narrow spectrum and does it well
Program 22 September:
- 12.00 Doors open at Norra Latin in Stockholm, with top exhibitors in both wine and accessories.
- 13.30 How to build a great wine list - panel discussion led by Star Wine List's Andreas Grube - with Raimonds Tomsons and Paz Levinson.
- 15.00 The Nordic sommelier championship final starts
- 17.00 Nordic Star Wine List of the Year - we announce the winners
- 18.00 The Nordic Sommelier Champion is crowned
The ticket is only 150 SEK, buy them here
Come and cheer for your favourites - see you on 22 September!