On 13 September Star Wine List crowned the best wine lists in Denmark. Geranium was the big winner, with Gold Stars in three out of the seven categories – Grand Prix, Austrian Wine List and Sparkling Wine List.
"A great old world selection, an amazing Champagne list, fine wines from California, beer, cider, and rarities," says jury member Raimonds Tomsons, Best Sommelier of Europe 2017, about Geranium's winning list.
The first international tour of Star Wine List of the Year visited 10 countries and concluded with a final in May this year. Now, the second tour is on its way, and Denmark was the second stop, after Finland.
Here are all the winners:
Austrian Wine List
– Recognizes the best wine list with Austrian wines
The category is presented by Austrian Wine
By The Glass List
– Recognizes the best by the glass list
Sparkling Wine List
– Recognizes the wine list with sparkling wine
Special Jury Prize
– Recognizes a venue that has done something extra with their wine list, such as the direction, the style or the value.
Best Short List
– Recognizes the best wine list with fewer than 200 listings
Best Medium-Sized List
– Recognizes the best wine list with 200-600 listings
– Recognizes the best large wine list, with more than 600 references
The jury for the Danish event was:
• Marc Almert, Best Sommelier of the World 2019
• Raimonds Tomsons, Best Sommelier of Europe 2017
• Rajat Parr, sommelier, winemaker, author
• Julie Dupouy-Young, three times Best Sommelier of Ireland
• Paz Levinson, Best Sommelier of Argentina and the Americas
The jury's mission is to rate their favourites while considering width, depth, originality and value.