On 20 February 2023, Star Wine List and The Buyer will award the best wine lists in the UK. The celebration is a part of our international tour and the winners in the UK will face the winners from many other countries in the international final in June 2023.
"We can't wait to come back to London and celebrate the great wine lists of the UK again, and the teams behind them,” said Krister Bengtsson, founder of Star Wine List. “With Brexit, the pandemic and now staff shortages, the crews in the UK restaurants are doing an amazing job for all guests.”
The competition is part of Star Wine List’s international awards, now the benchmark for wine lists. Other competitions have taken place in the Nordics, South Africa and Australia. The judges include a star-studded lineup of sommeliers: Ronan Sayburn MS, Piotr Pietras MS, and Jan Konetzki. They will be joined by Star Wine List’s UK Ambassador, Ruth Spivey.
“We are also happy to introduce the Sustainable Wine List category to the UK for the first time, as well as Best Up-and-Coming Wine List presented by Chateau Palmer and Bordeaux New Generation Wine List with CIVB," said Bengtsson.
Nyetimber, the world-renowned English sparkling wine producer, will sponsor the Best Sparkling Wine List.
The Star Wine List of the Year UK award is being done in partnership with The Buyer.
Participation is free of charge. The last day to enter was 22 January 2023.
The jury for this event will be several of the world's most prominent sommeliers and our UK ambassador Ruth Spivey:
• Piotr Pietras MS, Terroiryści, Poland
• Ronan Sayburn MS, CEO, Court of Master Sommeliers
• Jan Konetzki, Independent Sommelier
• Ruth Spivey, UK ambassador Star Wine List
CATEGORIES AND CRITERIA
The jury votes for their favourite wine lists in each category.
- Best Austrian Wine List, presented by Austrian Wine
- Grand Prix, presented by Bibendum
For wine lists with more than 600 references.
- Best Medium-Sized List
- Best Short List
- Best By the Glass List
- Best Sparkling Wine List, presented by Nyetimber
- Special Jury Prize
For a wine list that does something out of the ordinary.
- Sustainable Wine List, presented by Spier Wine Farm
UK CATEGORIES - categories specific to the UK:
- Best Up-and-Coming Wine List, presented by Château Palmer
For a new wine list or a wine list that is going places.
- Bordeaux New Generation List, presented by Bordeaux Wines
For a wine list featuring a new generation of Bordeaux wines.
- Best New Zealand Wine List, presented by New Zealand Winegrowers
- Best California Wine List, presented by Louis M. Martini
More categories will be added.
Sign up to the newsletter to be the first to know about finalists and winners.
Do like the Pros - search 2500+ wine lists