About Louis M. Martini
Louis M. Martini voyaged to America with a vision of making the very best wines in the world. He started his storied journey with a simple premise – the best grapes make the best wines. This led him to Napa Valley, the most coveted wine making region in California.
The premise turned into passion, one that passed down through three generations of Martini winemakers. Today, the legacy and tradition carries on at our historic winery, where we are dedicated to the craft of Cabernet Sauvignon. A product of passion and perseverance that Louis instilled nearly a century ago.
Louis M. opened the first newly constructed winery in Napa Valley once Prohibition was repealed in 1933. An endeavour which he funded during Prohibition by producing sacramental wine for the church and selling ‘Forbidden Fruit’. A visionary and entrepreneur, Louis M. recognised the potential for growing Cabernet Sauvignon in the region and soon acquired a premium vineyard property in the Mayacamas Mountains that he named Monte Rosso. Such bold moves were characteristic of the enterprising vintner. His focus on quality and innovation was passed down through his winemaker son and grandson, each generation helping to set new standards in the vineyards and cellar.
Nearly 90 years later, the winery stands where it began, in the heart of Napa Valley, led by just the fourth winemaker in Martini’s history. The original winery was recently restored to incorporate a new visitor centre that highlights the beauty of the winery’s utilitarian design of terra cotta, brick, concrete and steel. The commitment to expertise in Cabernet remains.