On Oct. 4 Star Wine List will celebrate the great wine lists of South Africa for the first time, in cooperation with the South African Sommeliers Association (SASA). Now our top sommelier jury is done deliberating – here are all the finalists.
"South Africa is one of the most dynamic wine countries in the world and we are super excited to bring our celebration to South Africa for the first time. We look very much forward to highlighting the work being done by sommelier teams and restaurateurs all over the country," says Krister Bengtsson, Star Wine List's founder and publisher.
Star Wine List of the Year is our celebration of top wine lists and the teams behind them. In South Africa, Star Wine List of the Year will be held at the Champagne Telmont Best Young Sommelier of South Africa event in Stellenbosch on October 4.
The winners in South Africa will be qualified for the International Final in June 2023. There, the South African winner will face wine lists and teams from Scandinavia, UK, Germany, Singapore and more.
And the finalists are...
– Recognizes the best wine list with over 600 listings. The category is presented by Winterhalter
Best Medium-Sized List
– Recognizes the best list with 200-600 references.
Best Short List
– Recognizes the best list with up to 200 references
Best By the Glass List
– Recognizes the best by-the-glass list
Best Sparkling Wine List
– Recognizes the best wine list with sparkling wine.
Sustainable Wine List
– Recognizes a wine list that has put extra emphasis on the wine program’s impact, including wine growing, winemaking, packaging and transport.
The winner will be announced on Oct. 4.
Special Jury Prize
– Recognizes a venue that has done something extra with their wine list, such as the direction, the style or the value. The category is presented by TOPS at SPAR.
The jury consist of three world-class sommeliers from our International Jury Panel:
- Heidi Mäkinen, Master of Wine, President Finnish Sommelier Association
- Marc Almert, Best Sommelier of the World 2019
- Piotr Pietras, Master Sommelier
And as the local sommelier expert jury member, based in Johannesburg:
- Tawanda Marume, Best Sommelier of Zimbabwe 2020
To read more about how we judge wine lists, see the link below.
And sign up to the newsletter below to be the first to know all the details!
Do like the Pros - search 2500+ wine lists