On Feb. 21, the best wine lists in the UK will be celebrated during a live event in London. As in 2021, UK Star Wine List of the Year will be co-hosted by The Buyer.
”We are excited to once again celebrate the great wine lists of the UK and look forward to meeting people in person again, corona permitting of course,” says Krister Bengtsson, Star Wine List’s founder.
Star Wine List of the Year started in the Nordics to celebrate the greatest wine lists and the teams behind them. The first international tour last year went to 10 markets in Asia and Europe. During the second tour of Star Wine List of the Year we have so far visited Finland, Denmark, Australia and Norway. And in February we come to the UK for the second time, in partnership with The Buyer. Corona permitting, we will have a live event in London.
In 2021, Noble Rot and Les 110 de Taillevent shared the victory in the Grand Prix category. Find out all the 2021 finalists and winners here.
On Feb. 21 2022 the best wine lists in the UK will be announced during the second Star Wine List of the Year UK, and now it is time to send in wine lists to join the competition!
Restaurants and wine bars in the UK, enter here free of charge before Jan. 23.
Apart from the honour and the gold certificates, winners are qualified to the International Final of Star Wine List of the Year in June 2022.
When it comes to the jury, we are proud to announce that the Best Sommelier of Europe & Africa 2021, Salvatore Castano who is based in the UK, is joining the jury for the UK event.
Apart from Salvatore Castano, these top wine professionals are also confirmed so far:
• Arvid Rosengren, Best Sommelier of the World 2016
• Raimonds Tomsons, Best Sommelier of Europe 2017
• Rajat Parr, sommelier, winemaker, author
• Ruth Spivey, sommelier, writer, Star Wine List UK ambassador.
CATEGORIES AND CRITERIA
The jury will vote independently for their favorites considering width, depth, originality and value. The jurys' votes are then added up to decide the finalists and the winners.
• Grand Prix: Recognizes the best large wine list, with more than 600 references.
• Austrian Wine List: The category is presented by Austrian Wine and recognizes the best Austrian Wine List.
• By The Glass List: Recognizes the best by the glass list.
• Sparkling Wine List: Recognizes the wine list with sparkling wine.
• Special Jury Prize: Recognizes a venue that has done something extra with their wine list, such as the direction, the style or the value.
• Best Short List: Recognizes the best wine list with fewer than 200 listings.
• Best Medium-Sized List: Recognizes the best wine list with 200-600 listings.
The winners in the international international categories are all qualified to the international final of Star Wine List of The Year that will be held in June.
• Best German Wine List: The category is presented by Wines of Germany and recognizes the best wine list with German wines.
• Best New Zealand Wine List: The category is presented by New Zealand Wine and recognizes the best wine list with New Zealand wines.
• Best Californian Wine List: The category is presented by Louis M. Martini and recognizes the best wine list with Californian wines.
More categories may be announced before the competition date.